Internationally-educated nurses (IENs)

Registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and personal support workers are in high demand in New Brunswick, with employment opportunities in either official language (English or French). It is a priority of the Province of New Brunswick to attract, support and retain these valuable health-care professionals. The Province is also working closely with a variety of employers in New Brunswick to fill job vacancies in nursing.

The IEN Navigation Service

The process for an internationally educated nurse (IEN) to become licensed to practice as a licensed practical nurse (LPN) or a registered nurse (RN) in New Brunswick can take between 12 and 24 months.

New Brunswick’s IEN Navigation service provides customized, client-centred service to IENs at no cost to the candidate. The service assists candidates with key barriers they might experience during the process to licensure, offering guidance surrounding:

  • The National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS);
  • Provincial entry-to-practice competency assessments;
  • Bridging programs available in the province; and
  • Provincial regulatory bodies.

Internationally educated nurses can connect with the IEN Navigation Service by completing this short form.

Other regulated occupations in New Brunswick

There are a variety of regulated occupations in New Brunswick. If you would like to work in a regulated occupation, you are required to be certified or licensed by the regulatory authority for that occupation.

A regulatory authority is an organization, usually provincial, responsible for ensuring members of the occupation follow the rules outlined by legislation. This includes making sure that workers meet all necessary requirements and follow occupational standards. In general, standards are set to protect the public’s health and safety, or the environment. Several examples of regulated occupations include accountants, physicians, and engineers.

One of the first steps in becoming certified or licensed in New Brunswick is to obtain an equivalency for the foreign qualifications you have earned outside of Canada. Your academic credentials and work experience will be evaluated to determine how your credentials and experience compare to Canadian-trained professionals.

For an overview of the foreign qualification assessment process, and recognition programs and services, visit Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC), Employment and Social Development Canada, or Credential Assessment in Canada.

Your occupation may be called something different in New Brunswick, or it may require additional qualifications to practice safely and meet the certification or licensing requirements established by the regulatory authority. The Working in New Brunswick Tool can help you find the name and a description of your occupation, as well as the qualifications needed for certification or licensure.  Please note that certification or licensing requirements may vary between provinces and territories across Canada.

For occupation-specific information, please refer to the following:     

For information on institutions which offer small loans to newcomers seeking Canadian credentials, please refer to the following: